Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What does your writing style say about you? ...and other thoughts on life in general.

I've pretty much given up on a day-to-day chatter style of writing. For five years, I posted on this blog at least every few weeks; sometimes more. Now, however, I find myself turning more and more to fiction.

Oh, I've always done fiction, but it was never the escape it is now. I think it was more of a fun exercise. These days it feels very cleansing. I can go somewhere else, somewhere I want to be.

It's not that my life is so horrible; on the contrary, most days it's very good and I know that I am blessed. It's more that I'm beginning to realize some things about life in general that I was never aware of until recently.

Life is not just life; life is also death, and learning to deal with death. Life is not just about having things and people around you; it's about learning how to gracefully lose those things and people. Life is not just about pleasant things, and I'm slowly -- VERY slowly -- beginning to understand that.

What I'm having an especially hard time with is how to accept all this. Society today doesn't teach you how to lose anything. It's not acceptable to lose at sports or games or any competition. It's not acceptable to lose money or influence or power. It's certainly not acceptable to lose a person, whether through death or any other situation.

That's one of the things I envy the people from, say, Colonial days or pioneer days. They were very much in touch with death and loss.

It's not that I want to be close to death. Not at all. I'd prefer to never come into contact with it. But as I said, unfortunately death is part of life. What I would like is to be less sensitive to it. For my own sake. I freely admit it's a selfish motivation.

I also freely admit that good may come from losing (or just plain not having) things and people.

Making approximately $12,000 a year with some rather hefty bills to pay has been excellent for me. I shop at Goodwill and the Salvation Army, proudly. An occasional cup of coffee from Tim Horton's seems like a treat to me. I sew and mend my clothes, and polish my shoes instead of buying new ones. I help tend gardens and forage for wild herbs and plants to eat.

Having to say "no" to most of the things I want is a hard lesson but a good one. I don't mind it, most days.

Losing people can teach you to appreciate the ones you still have in your life. Losing people can teach you to empathize with those who've lost someone, or help someone through their grieving. When you've been there, you know a little bit more about how to help.

Still, knowing that good can come of loss doesn't make the loss any easier to take. Nothing makes it easier. Yes, we have a good God who cares for us, but it doesn't mean we're never going to lose anyone, and it definitely doesn't mean that all pain is taken away.

That's hard. You feel like having a loving God should make everything, everything sweet and joyful, but that just isn't the case most of the time. Don't mistake me -- going through loss doesn't mean that God has deserted you and left you to face things alone. He's still there. But having someone alongside you during a hard time doesn't necessarily make that hard time any easier.

It's like having someone kneeling next to you with an arm around you when you're on your knees throwing up in the bathroom. It doesn't make the nausea go away. You love that someone wants to help, but it doesn't mean that you instantly feel better.

Life just doesn't work that way.

Maybe someday I'll be able to wrap my mind around all this.

9 Comments:

At 15:13, Blogger Clair Bannerman (alias) said...

So philisophical you are today my friend! I think that if you want to get in touch with death come to my house.

Death of privacy - Torque with his head in your lap on the toilet.

Death of sleep - Torque and his kitty counterparts waking you up at all hours.

Death to possessions - Torque will eventually tear, rip, or dirty beyond repair all that you hold dear (or close to it)

Death to body cells - as I stare at the giant bruise on my leg that he gave me.

Okay, so that's not as deep as you were going, and actually I do think you were profoundly correct in your assessment. I think we all need a little more death-to-self in our lives.

 
At 16:04, Blogger Jess said...

Hahahaha!!! I think I need a Torque in my life. Actually, now that I think about it, I have a feline version named Cowboy -- and he drives me crazy. Maybe I wouldn't survive a larger version like the one you have. LOL!! Seriously, though, thanks for the comment. Sometimes I really need to look at the lighter side of things. ;) Love!!

 
At 17:37, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my writing style says i am old, cynical, narcissistic, frunken-lobed, witty, incorrigible, humorous, creative, and wildly popular.

i also am an ego-maniac, bent upon global dominance with establishment of a dynastic world empire propped by oligarchical support. the restoration of a feudal-state model using servile dependance upon an intellectual elite will further strengthen my dynastic plans for coming millennial reign.

should you wish to become a member of my ruling elite, one of my first acts will be the elimination of your former financial obligations and dispensation of special privileges allowing you unfettered access to any goods and services you require.

simply respond with "i accept the terms of this arrangement", send me all pertinent credit card numbers, your social security number, passport number, and drivers license number to begin your new life.

 
At 15:51, Blogger Jess said...

Dear SFL,
I shall attempt a response to your marvelous list.

Old: Of course not!

Cynical: Conceivably.

Narcissistic: Nah.

Frunken-lobed: For certain sure, as the Amish might say.

Witty: Well, yes!

Incorrigible: Indubitably.

Humorous: All right, I give up. I can't think of a word or phrase beginning with H that connotes the idea of agreement.

Creative: Certainly.

Wildly popular: Wholly.

:D

I would love to dispense with all financial obligations and become a member of The Kingdom of SFL's Ruling Elite, but I would need some sort of documentation or assurance of benefits before naively sending all pertinent information. You understand, I'm sure.

Vive l'Empereur!

 
At 16:19, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ego-maniacal emperor's do not make deals with potential converts. converts either recognize the inherent benefits to entering into a subservient, albeit quasi-important role, or risk entering into the subservient state without the potential perks of oligarchical elitism. either way you will join.

so, i guess this means, no i will provide "documentation" or "assurance". i am benevolent, but do not push the limits of my forbearance!

*roaring evil laughter heard echoing down the long emperoric hall*

 
At 16:23, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps - you referred to me as SFL.

who is SFL? and why would you think to call me such a name?

 
At 09:15, Blogger Jess said...

Oh, I do beg your forgiveness and pardon, dear Anonymous Emperor. Please do not guillotine me or otherwise end my miserable existence. I choose to remain in squalor rather than push the limit of the Anonymous Emperor's forbearance (which, incidentally, seems a rather abbreviated limit...OK, backing away now, bowing and scraping, turning and running...)

 
At 10:26, Blogger Clair Bannerman (alias) said...

Oh my gosh...I can't believe you grovelled! I'm just saying - SLF has more intellect than action. After all, action would require his leaving the cave to step out into the sun...muahaha

 
At 17:11, Anonymous Anonymous said...

silence!!!

*in a roaring bellow, of course, to appease the uninitiated onlooker*

your attempts to subvert the obvious contrite petitions of another poor pathetic soul is not appreciated.

while i recognize the likelihood that mary is probably feigning repentance, i choose to accept her half-hearted, albeit sarcastic, beg for forbearance.

thus, i stoop to accept your meager grovel, and ask you to not listen to the evil voice at your left ear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home